Friday, August 19, 2011

YES

This is old news at this point, but the latest, greatest beer bar to hit LA opened up on August 1st. Mohawk Bend boasts an impressive, rotating tap list of something between 65-72 California craft brews. They have food and spirits and wine to boot, also all from California, but I patronize them for the beer alone. What's possibly the best part of it all? I can step out my door and be at MB inside 10 minutes, walking.

The opening of this theater-turned-restaurant has been long awaited.  I'm not sure of the specifics of the delays, but I do know that I've been waiting patiently for MB to open despite the big day being pushed back from early spring into the depths of summer.  Now all that is in the past and the future looks very bright.  Each time I step up to order a pint the menu has changed pretty substantially, and I have been able to wet my whistle entirely with beers I'd never tasted before.  There are a number of breweries being poured that I'd never heard of before, and even more that I'd never seen at a bar.

I could go on about all the beers, but the bottom line is that you should check this place out.  They've been packed to the jowls so don't expect an easy time ordering, let alone finding much space to sit in the bar area.  You could wait for a table, but then you're in for a 1-2 hour wait.  I'd chalk it all up to a small staff and restricted hours, which supposedly they are planning to extend soon.  When that happens, you can be sure that I'll be in there on USC game day later this fall.

On a completely separate note, I discovered a most excellent YouTube series the other day covering all the bare-bones basics of Quantum Computation.  It is a series of short, self-contained classes (in the style of Khan Academy) by Michael Nielsen, the guy who literally wrote the book on Quantum Computation. If you have any interest in how QIS works and loosely what it's all about, you should give these videos a peep. You don't need any quantum mechanics to start working through it all, though some linear algebra is pretty integral to making any headway. Any way you slice it, the stuff is very interesting and these videos lay everything out as clearly as you will find anywhere, starting with the fundamental idea of the qubit and working towards very cool results like superdense coding and quantum teleportation. It's not science fiction, it's just science.

No comments:

Post a Comment